- Dominion of God: Christendom and Apocalypse in the Middle Ages by Brett Edward Whalen
- Comitatus: A Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies
- Dominion of God Christendom and Apocalypse in the Middle Ages
Dominion of God is divided into eight chapters, which progress chronologically and thematically from the origins of the papal monarchy in the eleventh century through the gloomy apocalypticism of the late fourteenth. The origins of the crusading move- REVIEWS ment, the subject of chapter 2, made several important contributions to the development of this new theology of history. Access options available:.
Dominion of God: Christendom and Apocalypse in the Middle Ages by Brett Edward Whalen
Comitatus: A Journal of Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Without cookies your experience may not be seamless. Institutional Login. LOG IN. Whelan review S. This new world would aim to unify all Christians, most especially eastern Christians, under the Supreme Pontiff and to bring Jews, Muslims, and pagans under his wing as converts to Christianity.
The book takes us through a dazzling array of thinkers, always putting their thoughts in political and military context. Whalen's readings of more obscure authors are always enlightening, and his writing is lucid. This book will enjoy a very wide readership. The end result would be the conversion of all mankind, the defeat of Antichrist, and the restoration of Jerusalem to Christian hands.
Dominion of God illuminates this powerful medieval vision. He offers virtually encyclopedic coverage of the vast number of prophecies from the period. This is a major contribution to the interpretation of medieval and western Christian history, and I enthusiastically recommend it. Show More Show Less. Any Condition Any Condition.
No ratings or reviews yet. Be the first to write a review.
Dominion of God Christendom and Apocalypse in the Middle Ages
Best Selling in Nonfiction See all. Burn after Writing by Sharon Jones , Paperback 2. Save on Nonfiction Trending price is based on prices over last 90 days.
Land of Hope by Wilfred M. You may also like. Jan Brett Hardcover Books.
- Reward Management: A Critical Text (Routledge Studies in Employment Relations).
- Performing Site-Specific Theatre: Politics, Place, Practice;
- Durable Resistance in Crops!
- Book Dominion Of God Christendom And Apocalypse In The Middle Ages!
- Book Dominion Of God Christendom And Apocalypse In The Middle Ages.
- Eating Disorders and Marital Relationships.
Cassie Edwards Hardcover Books. Jan Brett Hardcover Illustrated Books. Biography Hardcover Ages Books for Children.
Cassie Edwards Hardcover Romance Books.